Saturday, February 24, 2007

Coming back to the cold NE from sunny FL...

We disappeared for a while to sunny Florida. Daytona Beach, to be exact. I don't normally venture to the south much, and I'm not that crazy about surfing or waters. It's business that brought us there. I'm glad I went, though. I got/learnt a few things out of the trip:

First, we got our business side covered.

And the kids had a good time at the wadding pool and the beach, jumping waves, sand castle and all, with some Disney DVD in between.

We all had a relaxing time eating out, and lots of sleep (which is rare). We probably gained 5 pounds each.

And I find out too, that I can (and will) never retire in Florida, or some sunny place where I'll be sitting around watching sunrise, and looking forward to sunset. While I was idle by the pool side, half of my brain went mush.


Granted that the weather was gorgeous. We skipped the cold spell (the Florida ones, not the New England ones, mind), and we were flying out before the storm moves in next week. So, we had all the sun and blue sky, 24x7. I can't ask for more. It reminds me of the sunny blue sky in Sydney.

Daytona Beach is a touristy town. The race just finished, and the bike week hasn't started yet, so the town was pretty much empty. We did see quite some Harleys roaming on the street (definitely too loud for me). My son got into this habit of watching car makes and models, and he couldn't find many Japs. Most people on the street, on the beach, and by the pool, had maybe 2+ extra spare tires too much in their mid section. I don't think one winter gives them that, but probably the deep-fried everything in most every restaurant that contributes to that. I feel so "sick" not having any real veggies and eating only deep fried stuffs. There is not even a Chinese restaurant or one that is near enough to deliver to our hotel. It's quite pathetic, really.

And it's hard coming back from Florida's 77F winter to 20F in the Northeast (plus wind). Thank God there's no ice/snow today. That chilly wind to our face right when we stepped out of the airport brought us back to reality.

But you know, I do enjoy the uptight-ness of the NE sometimes.... And I don't have to worry about putting sunscreen on all the time, and the increased chance of skin cancer... Well, we have other worries, but I'll leave them for another day. :) It does feel nice to be able to relax once in a while, for a short while.

No comments: