Thursday, March 12, 2009

On toilet paper and environmental consciousness...

I don't remember if I have written about this in this journal previously (which I probably have, but I don't feel like clicking through the entries to revise my old writings), but I always teach my kids to respect the environment and not to be wasteful.

One of the things I do with them is, saving unnecessary flush of toilets. Naturally, it's not very hygienic to do that after poop, but pee-pee really isn't so bad. At one point, I read somewhere that toilet flushes use more than 30% of household water consumption, which can translate into thousands of gallons of fresh water. After I read that, the urging to my kids to maintain this habit (of saving flushes, only until the last one of us is done pee'ing, particularly in the morning rituals, when everyone files in/out of the bathroom) has taken on new meanings to me, and I feel the urgency to make sure they definitely do that.

The same goes for recycle aluminum cans. Reports indicate that the energy used to make a new aluminum can is enough for 3 hours of TV. To me, recycling the cans is a no-brainer. But these days, when I see any cans, be it on the street or in the public bin, I would pick it up and find a recycle bin to put it in. My public duty and conscience demands me to do it.

So now, it comes to the use of toilet papers. This is another practice that I have urged my kids to do. If I do not refrain them, they would be rolling toilet paper off like it's a dancing ribbon, and could use as much as 20-30 parts of toilet paper for one wipe. I was horrified when I saw the toilet paper rolling out, and they simply enjoying the sight of it. So, I give them a rule, use 3 parts (max) at any one time. If the wipe is not clean, use another 3-part wipe. Since the toilet paper is of good quality (and thick), 3 parts are more than enough.

And then I read about all these controversy, about Sheryl Crow advocating using less toilet papers, and I was astounded - not by what she advocates (which makes absolute sense), but at how negative people were receiving it. I thought to myself, what's wrong with these people? What's wrong with limiting ourselves to use only what is necessary?!?

I must confess though, that I am yet to convert my husband. He does not oppose to my recycling at all, and he would put recyclables in the correct bin. But he would never volunteer to do it. If the recycle bin is full, I have no doubts that he'll leave them there, and throw the rest of the recyclables to the trash. And, he still ensures that he has enough for 2 wipes, each wipe with at least 5-6 parts of toilet paper. Once, I asked him why he needs so much toilet paper? He told me he has a hairy butt, and he needs more paper. Well, I couldn't argue with him on that. :)

I'm yet to refrain my husband of not letting the water running in the faucet while he's brushing. Another time, I asked him why he needs the water running ferociously when he's still brushing. He told me he likes the sound of it. Pray to God that he'll see the light of environmental protection one day...

No comments: