Friday, September 17, 2010

Has writing become a dying art form?

The other day, I read an article on Sydney Morning Herald, about a million-dollar pen in pen-and-stationery stop in Sydney. I was interested, not of how much a pen can get - or even the question of whether anyone would care to put up that kind of money for a pen - but how writing has become so vintage that this store has become part of this cottage industry and niche.

In a way, I'm saddened by it. I like pens and stationery. I like reading. This is despite the fact that my writing is quite terrible, and I'm no calligrapher at all. As a matter of fact, I hardly need to write for a very long time now, since I work exclusively with just my laptop. I haven't even needed to use my printer either, so there goes anything that's remotely related to papers.

All these are well and good, very environmental-friendly. I'm sure I've helped saved alot of trees due to that, plus it frees up so much space at home (since I telecommute). Recently, I applied for another mortgage, and I was able to use all soft-copy of documents exclusively. All 2Gb worth of documents, which would otherwise have required reams of papers, ink and printing, they are now all on a tiny thumb drive that I can put away in my safebox. Isn't that sweet?

Having said all that, I still miss my pens. I have some really nice pens, some of them I used to use very often, including a Mont Blanc and a Parker that I used in my college days. You have no idea how much I long to use them again. I have tried to put them on my desk, so that I can get to use them, should the chance allow it. But they only get to gather dust, and I have to put them away in the drawer. The word vintage quite nicely describes the fond memory that good pens, but an old, broken-down leather bag, is valuable and, as such, should be treasured.

My only hope is, I might still get to use it from time to time. Hence, they are still in my drawer, rather than in my safebox. If that should become reality one day, I would be very sad. :)

No comments: