Saturday, October 6, 2012

On James Bond, 50 years on...

I'm a movie fan.  (Ok, I'm not a fanatic, but I like watching movies.  Most of us do anyways, I'm sure.)  There are certain movies and franchises that are a must-see.  For franchise, there is the Star Wars series (not quite so for the last three, but the first three), the LOTR series, etc, and of course, the James Bond movies.

I've lost track, and have not realized that James Bond in movies have been with us for 50 years now.  It's high time to take stock, wouldn't you think?

My rule of thumb has always been (which I mostly stick with) that, if the movies are based on a published book, I'll read the book first.  Let my imagination do some work based on the book, before allowing the filmmakers define what their vision of the story.  I mostly do that with comic books as well, but not as strictly.

I watch all the James Bond movies.  All of them.  I'm sure for those who watch all the Bond movies, or at least those that span across the decades and the six Bond that we've had so far, we have our own favorite of who the real Bond or the best Bond should be.

The filmmakers of the Bond movies did a decent job in carving out somewhat different personality for the six Bond's, yet retaining some traits, like his preference of martini (shaken, not stirred), or the way he announces himself (My name is Bond, James Bond).  They have become such catchphrases as to become almost cliche; yet they are so instantly recognizable which says volume about the popularity of James Bond and how deeply entrenched he is with pop culture.

Of the six Bonds - Roger Moore, always the gentleman; Timothy Dalton, with a more human touch; Pierce Brosnan, with a bit more intensity and even nervousness; George Lazenby, the forgettable; Daniel Craig, the first ever blond Bond and a very, very intense one, to boot; and then of course, there is Sean Connery, the ultimately definition of who and how Bond should be.

Sometimes I wonder out loud as well, as to why we love Sean Connery so much, as the first and the best ever James Bond there is, laying down the gold standard by which all the subsequent Bond is measured against.

Surely he's as smooth and handsome as anyone would expect from a lady's man like Bond.  But there is also a sense of ruthlessness in Connery just under the surface of his face that makes him convincing as a master spy.  That's what makes Moore's, Dalton's, and Lazenby's Bond come across as unconvincing and feel almost fake.

Brosnan and Craig are much more intense Bond, which is how things should be.  In fact, one would say, they are much more realistic than Connery.  When you're in really hot water, facing life and death (supposedly) on screen, one has got to be intense.  Connery does have his own intensity, but he never feels like he's in a hurry.  That's almost in keeping with the tradition of Bond theme songs as feeling this lazy, jazzy style.

I'm sure if you put Sean Connery in today's movie casting, he wouldn't stand a chance to be cast as Bond.  Back in the days, I can't think of anyone else, or any other way, that a Bond could ever be.

I have not thought I would say it out loud, but indeed I'll be a Bond fan forever.  Such as it is.  :)

No comments: