Saturday, January 12, 2019

On following up on New Year resolution...

It's two weeks, and counting. My New Year resolution is still holding up, by and large.

Going into office is tough, since it's so coffee-oriented. Coffee breaks (that long ago replaces smoke breaks) have become the time when folks get together for chats. It seems almost pointless to just hold a bottle of water in hand. So far, I've only offended once, with a cup of decaf. It doesn't seem to have impacted my blood pressure and heart rate adversely. Maybe there really is something in decaf that I should have given it more credits for.

Still, a coffee is a coffee, decaf or otherwise. At least when I'm not in office, when I'm away from all the temptations, I haven't touched any coffee or even feel the urge for it. Fingers crossed.

As with the coffee, I've offended once while eating out with office folks over lunch. One pack of chips. I feel horrible afterwards, for breaking my own rules. More fingers crossed.

I do get to keep at the daily exercise regiment. Daily kettlebell workout and stretching in the evening.

The exercise also helps to tire me out, and I have been sleeping earlier (before 11pm). I've also been waking up on my own around dawn without feeling tired. The withdrawal symptoms of low-grade headache and tirelessness in the afternoon is long gone.

Things are going good, so far. Blood pressure came back down to normal range. Heart rate came back down to 70 (from the coffee days of 97) which is amazing to me. And I don't feel heart palpitation (which I felt almost every night when I laid down on bed) anymore.

I've also lost some 6 pounds without any change in diet or fluids intake. (In fact, I've been drinking water more often.)

I feel great. 

The only thing I do miss occasionally, is the caffeine rush with the first cup of coffee, and that sudden clearness in the head right after. But, it's not worth all the potential health risks that comes with it.


No comments: