Friday, April 27, 2007

On Virginia Tech shooting...

There have been so much on my mind, from the news that I read, but I scarcely find the time to do so. So, let me do a few rapid fire postings...

On one of the worst campus shooting by the Korean American student at Virginia Tech who fired and killed 30 people before he killed himself, my first reaction was, Why? Or rather, how can a kid become so mentally deranged to think of doing such act?

Maybe he's an extreme introvert, maybe he's always been a social outcast, maybe his family had tried and failed to reach out to him; but there are so many other people in the society who are perhaps in the same situation. Would it have happened if more and more of these horrific incidents occur? Is it possible, that perhaps he has this thought (this bad bad thought of hurting other people), and the society, to do the least, deprives him the means of carrying out the act by not allowing him to buy guns so freely?

I guess his case is one that would be studied in the psychology and sociology classes in the years to come. And I'm in no position to study him in great depth. But while I can understand the urge to preserve the Americana way of life (of bearing firearms, for example), society evolves and we should move to remove the undesirable elements (I mean firearms, not the outcasts). That's how civilization evolves. I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to see it. Perhaps the Amercian people need another 1000 years to see that point. *sigh*...

No comments: