Thursday, June 19, 2008

On the appeal of short stories...

I read slow. Unlike my husband who can finish the last Harry Potter book by JK Rowling within a day, it took me close to a week to finish it before bedtime.

No matter, cuz I still like to read. Unlike my broad taste in different kinds and genres of movies, I go through phrases, where I would read only one genre over a period of time, then move on to the next. But detective stories and thrillers, and Edith Wharton/Jane Austen, remain my all-time favorites.

I have always like short stories as well. I like a story and writing that is crisp, sharp, and with a twist. A good short story always deliver that to me. I started out with A Twist In The Tale by Jeffrey Archer. While I might not have appreciated Archer the politician, I enjoy his writing and particularly his short stories which are crisp and whimsical.

Right now, I'm reading The Blue Religion, a collection of short stories related to law enforcement. It's another enjoyable read. With the exception of maybe just one or two of them, which sounds more like preaching than story-telling (eg. The Herald by Leslie Grass), I enjoy most every one of the stories immensely, each with its own twist.

Some people don't like short stories, since the author could hardly have enough space/time to build up characters, let alone telling a compelling story. For me, those challenges, if done right, make it all the more enjoyable than a verbose full-length fiction.

No comments: