Wednesday, July 1, 2009

On how much a Masters Degree actually worths...

The New York Times article on how much a Masters Degree is worth is timely, given the recent upward trend of enrollment to graduate schools, most likely due to people's desire to seek haven in academia while waiting out the economic storm, with others hoping to retool and/or to change direction in career.

It's also timely, because incidentally, I have started my Masters (computing) earlier this year. My goals have been quite different from those aforementioned. From time to time, I also like going back to school, to "rejuvenate", as it's mentally stimulating.

In my trade, relevant skill sets and experience count more than anything else in these days, that I don't think my newly minted Masters is going to do much to boost earning powers. In other words, I don't expect to use this Masters to either switch careers, or to give me a jolt up the corporate ladder.

It helps, that my employer is paying for the degree; hence all I have to commit, is the time and effort. That eliminates the angst of possible student loans, since I never intend to borrow money for my education. If I can't afford it, I'll work three part time jobs (as I did back then for my Bachelors Degree); but I don't like to take on debts. That's just me. I know that might not be possible for some people. I do believe, though, that when there is the will, there is a way.

I do agree with some of the comments in the article, about the fact that some Masters Degree does nothing more than decorating one's resume. I suppose, on top of the mental stimulation, that's probably what it'll be worth to me. But I think if/when I start my own business, that resume boost could come in handy. It's not a bad thing to be an alumnae of a prestigious school. At least I can use the facilities. :)

I like multi-tasking. Back then, I would work multiple part time jobs, while I juggled with my study in college. I like being busy. Doing the Masters now, when I've had family and young kids, plus a full time job, take on a whole new meaning of "being busy" and multi-tasking. I've been grateful that my husband is very understanding and supportive. Without his help at home, I don't think I can focus on the various tasks that I need to do daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I must add a word on supportive spouse. Even though women take up half of the working population, I find that there is still undercurrent that alot of men wish to remain main (albeit not sole) breadwinner. I guess that gives them the power, confidence, some air of authority, and a jolt in the male ego. I have come to realize that, this kind of attitude applies mostly to those men who are not very confident about themselves, to start with. Hence, there is this sublime context that the guys have to somehow earn more than their wives, in order to "be the man."

I'm glad and grateful my husband is not like that. He's very comfortable of himself. He doesn't have the need to compete with me. Afterall, my alma mater (for both bachelors and masters) are not in the same "league" as his PhD (from MIT), which he doesn't seem to give a damn about brand-named schools.

And he's totally comfortable with the fact that I earn more than he does. Afterall, he has long accepted the fact that I'll earn more in engineering (IT) than he does in science (research). He has since lost his interests in research, and moved onto his own venture.

Perhaps it's his willing sacrifice of his career that has allowed me to further mine. And he's totally comfortable with domestic duties and caring of the kids. It makes a whole world of difference to have at least one parent at home with the kids. That allows him time to work on his venture on the side as well.

I'm forever grateful, for the unconventional way of work-life arrangement we've had.

No comments: