Friday, August 7, 2009

On the first lost baby tooth of my daughter...

When kids are much younger, there are so many milestones to check. Baby's first words, first steps, first tooth, and so on. When they get older, milestones are fewer and far in between.

This morning marked my daughter's first lost baby tooth, while she's eating an apple. She's been wiggling it for weeks now. Most of her friends have had some baby teeth out already, and she can't wait till it's her turn. So, when one of her lower front teeth started getting loose, she was ecstatic. We can even see the whites from the permanent tooth that has been coming out right behind this baby tooth. For weeks now, she's been diligently drinking more than enough milk (since we told her she needs calcium for strong teeth, and for the permanent teeth to keep growing in order to come out). I guess that's her rite of passage.

So, this morning, she bit into an apple, and that first loose baby tooth came out. She was so happy. We took pictures, and cooing around the baby, marveling on that tiny tooth.

At 7, she's still innocent enough to believe in tooth fairy. A couple of years ago, my son has discovered that I'm the tooth fairy who's been swapping his teeth under the pillow with a few dollar bills, ever since he found all his lost baby teeth in a little box in my drawer. My daughter said she's going to put her baby tooth under the pillow tonight. Being the wise guy as he is now, he told her, mommy is the tooth fairy. She refuted, saying tooth fairy exists only if you believe it; hence, it won't exist for him, since he doesn't believe in it. For her, it's all a matter of faith. To that, he just rolls his eyes. I find it quite funny and amusing to watch them in action.

Way back when, before my son lost his innocence about tooth fairy, he has once remarked that he's going to ask for all his baby teeth back from the tooth fairy, so that he can sell them to the tooth fairy again, but at a much higher price! He made that remark as we were starting our business, and he discovered the law of buy-low-sell-high. :)

Although they have both pretty much grown out of it, they used to love the book series on Arthur and DW. I love them too, since they're so innocent, yet educational. We watch most of the Arthur cartoon as well. I've been glad that they can relate to Arthur and DW as brother and sister in a loving family. I think I'll keep all those books as keepsake.

No comments: