Wednesday, August 5, 2009

On touch-and-go appreciation of arts...

There's an interesting article in New York Times the other day, about how people would go to museums, take quick snaps of all the artistry (paintings, sculptures, and what not), and be in-and-out in no time.

It's very true, that these days, rarely do people have time to slow down, and take the time to observe and appreciate things in life (be it arts, nature, and all). We seem to be always in a hurry. Certainly all the handy gadgetry these days, from digital camera, camera/smart phone plus texting and instant messaging capability, to laptops and netbooks that allow us to be online, 24x7.

I have always wondered if it's really necessary for me. I distinctly remember that, only some 12 years ago, during one chat with colleagues, when one guy remarked that he needed his cell phone so that he can "stand-by", I declared that I don't need or want a cell phone.

How I have corrected myself these days, when the three things I would grab before going out are keys, wallet, and my cell phone. I do admit that all on-demand capacity has allowed me to accomplish more in a compressed timeframe. Afterall, I would not have been able to work from home, while doing stock trading on the side, and monitoring the daily schedule of my household (kids, mine, and my husband's). I know I would have needed to find personal helpers to do things for me. Instead, now I can even squeeze time to run errands or do some "flash" grocery shopping, and even doing dishes (!!! imagine that !!!) During weekends, we can go out with the kids for their activities or even to the library.

But I have also found myself walking faster, talking faster, and doing everything in a hurry. Even my friends would remark that, they thought I needed to go somewhere, since I was talking so fast these days. In a way, maybe I have accustomed myself to the fast pace of the gadgets, so that I can do more with less.

It does take a conscientious effort to slow down sometimes, particularly during vacation when I'm supposed to relax and slow down some. This summer holiday, we haven't done much so far, except for the various summer camps for the kids. I do look forward to the Toronto trip in end August. I think I'm a little burnt out (what with all the study, refinancing, side ventures, work and more work), and badly need a break.

In our current state of (poor) economy, when everything is in such a flush, I guess I won't complain about being too busy. Afterall, it's better be busy than idling around.

No comments: