Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On the old Hitchcock movie, 39 Steps...

I like old movies and watched alot of them when I was growing up. These days, even though I'm busy, I still managed to watch maybe 7-10 movies a week.

Last night, I watched the 39 Steps, the old Hitchcock movie. Perhaps like most people, I tend to judge older movies with more sentimentality. A lot of the silliness in older movies are looked upon with fondness, which, if you put those silliness in modern movies, they can be downright annoying. Such is the endearing Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant in Charade, as compared to the 2002 remake The Truth About Charlie/Charade.

The reason why that comparison came to mind was that, I have no doubt that should I be younger, the chemistry and sexual innuendo between the main characters would probably have provoked romantic ideas in me. These days, I tend to find them more annoying. Would anyone really think a quick-snap romance like that would last? Does anyone really think there's any element of love in that? I do not think so.

Still, old movies tend to evolve ideals from a more innocent time. I think that's what I miss most, rather than the silliness of it.

No comments: