Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On Polanski and the 30-year-old rape case against him...

I don't put much stock in celebrity talking. Mostly they just yap, and we just ignore. But in the 30-year-old case on child rape against Roman Polanski, I have to say, enough is enough.

Sure, I like his movies, and no one doubts his talent. But everyone knows a crime is a crime. Crimes against children are particularly heinous. For all the details admitted by all parties, of how Polanski plied the 13-year-old girl with alcohol, then imposed himself on her, I cannot believe it, when I read what Whoopi Goldberg said, this does not sound like "it was rape-rape"?!? I guess by her loud-mouthed definition, rape-rape must have involved violence. If it had been a 13-year-old boy instead of a girl, would she have had a different opinion?

At the end of the day, he raped a child. That's the crime the court should be judging him for, not how many Oscar he's won, or great movies he's made. Nor does it matter how long ago that crime was, or how old he has become.

I can understand why the Polanski victim wants the case to be dropped. Afterall, it's hard to go through an ordeal like that. But as far as I'm concerned, Polanski is a sex offender and predator. If he had done it once, he can and will do it again, whether it's 46 or 76. If he's not brought to justice, other children would only continue to suffer in silence.

No comments: