Friday, October 9, 2009

On a decidely undeserved Nobel Peace Prize to Obama...

I was stunned this morning when I started up my computer and read the news headline: Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize!

At first, I thought it was one of those satire from The Onion, like they duped me in last time. I was wrong. Obama really had got the Nobel.

My second reaction was an immediate question: What has he done? I kept thinking and thinking, and I couldn't come up with anything. While I like some of the initiatives and instructions that he has initiated since he took the presidency, I have yet to see any results. In fact, I don't really know if he can deliver. I don't think anyone knows, including Obama himself.

It's apt to call the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama, the Nobel Hope Prize this year. I would have expected much deeper considerations to go in with a Nobel prize, let alone nomination. Given that the nomination of Obama (by whoever the sycophant) came just 12 days after he was sworn in, his nomination itself alone stood on the most shakiest grounds. How could such important a prize be given to someone with no results to show for??? I simply cannot believe how naive this Nobel committee has been, jumping on the Obama bandwagon, and awarded him a Nobel, based on nothing but posturing and looks.

This whole thing is such a farce to me. It's not unlike awarding a PhD to a college freshman, simply because he tries very hard to get in the program, he's working hard now, and he looks to be "on the right track." Is that good enough? Absolutely not. And I expect much more from a Nobel committee.

From this day on, I'll look at a Nobel Peace Prize in a whole new, different, negative light. In fact, I don't think I would bother much with this peace prize anymore. It's totally ridiculous, and worths less than a joke.

No comments: