Monday, October 19, 2009

On unsightly models favored by fashion industry...

There's this recent spat of the use of Polo Ralph Lauren (PRL) of a dangerously underweight model in a magazine. It turns out, PRL doctored the picture to trim the model, who has since been fired since she's considered too full-bodied.

I must say, I really don't understand the mentality of the fashion industry. I seriously if anyone (or a majority of the target audience) finds those very under-aged and under-weighed models appealing. Personally, I find those pictures I see in magazines and on the web repulsive. Apparently, the fashion industry thinks otherwise. And the use of these highly unappealing models is so pervasive in this industry that one can hardly avoid seeing these sickly pictures of models, pushing all sorts of products, from shoes, to fashion, accessories, fragrances, cosmetics, and more. Honestly, these pictures make it less likely for me, as a potential customer, to buy these products, when I see how these products are used. Still, these industries keep using these sickly-looking models. Why they still keep doing it, I really can't comprehend.

Maybe I'm at an age when I'm very comfortable with myself, my body, my self-esteem, that I know what I like and don't like. For younger girls and women, they are much more impressionable, and they are the ones who are being molded (or brainwashed) to believe that the thinner you are, the better-looking you will become, even though you're looking more malnourished by the day.

So, for me, this spat between PRL and this model (and the feminist movement) is more like storm in a tea cup to me, since I pretty much ignore this very unsightly picture that are heavily doctored. For others, it gets more personal, demanding apology from PRL. Although I don't give a damn about these fashion pictures, I do believe that the fashion industry should apologize for continuing such sickly practice.

Bottomline is, someone needs to stand up and tell the fashion industry that, whatever that they think is beautiful, it just looks so darn sick that they've pretty lost my business, because of that.

No comments: