Monday, August 1, 2011

On 3-D movies...

Recently, I brought the kids to watch a few movies. It's one of the summer must-do's for them. Thankfully, there are a few that they would jump to go (Harry Potter final installment, Cars 2), while others aren't so hot (Kung Fu Panda 2).

I must say, though, going to the movies is getting pricier these days. On top of the actual ticket price increase, now theaters are charging hefty premium for the same movies, but in 3-D. My only response is, who cares.

Sure, sure, you can always find some of those people who value highly of their movie experience. I'm guessing, those must be the same people who must have home entertainment and home theater system. I'm a rather complacent person, when it comes to that. I want a good movie, and good movie to me is more than just CGI. In other words, I'm not one of the willing crowds who pay to see extra visual effects. My kids don't care much either.

And then there are those annoying 3-D glasses that get in the way of my own spectacles, mostly just giving me dizzying headache. I would in fact pay extra to not see 3-D.

I don't think I'm alone though.

A few weeks ago, I went to see the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 with the kids. I picked the 2-D schedule. Granted that it's a very popular movie, I had not expected the theater to be completely full. (In fact, that was among the few times when I sat in a theater that was full house.) The movie was good, well-rounded on all fronts, 2-D notwithstanding. Throughout the day, there were only two screenings for 2-D, everything else in 3-D. I found out later that the 3-D showing (which was about half an hour later than the 2-D show that we're watching) was less than half full. That in itself should be a good indicator and a tell-tale sign.

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson does have a point, in pushing for lower 3-D ticket prices. But of course, if movie studio and theater owners can get away with charging audience more, they would; hence the dissing of Spielberg and Jackson's position by Jeff Katzenberg in that same article.

Perhaps it's just too bad, that Katzenberg doesn't get it. If he or anyone thinks that they can keep raising the prices, even by doing a little more in showing some 3-D effects (however well made it might be), they're quite wrong. I, for one am more than happy to wait for the DVD on netflix. Afterall, I'm not one of those who must have the first edition of everything - iphone, anyone? - and I don't need 3-D to make me love a movie. To be, 3-D is just sugar-pop.

No comments: