Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On the new HBO shows Girls...

I don't watch TV or cable since I don't find the shows and programming mostly unimpressive.  Occasionally, when there are buzz around something, I'll take a look; and if they look good, I'll get them on DVD.  That's always been my vetting process.

The other day, I heard the Fresh Air (Terry Gross) interview on a new HBO series Girls.  Rarely do I take things to instant dislike these days, but I found myself tsk tsk'ing continuously  as the interview went on.  The writer/director, a 23-year-old white woman, proclaims on the show and during the interview that she wants to be independent, her voice to be heard, and to be treated as a grown-up, yada yada.  Yet, my first response was, are you kidding me, by naming your shows "Girls" when you say you want to be a grown-up and be treated as such?  Racial diversity aside (and there's plenty of complaint about how unrealistic the plots and casting and narrow-minded of this show are, with four white women in, of all places, New York city??!!??), I find the whiny tone of these women, with such entitlement mentality, most disturbing.  If I have not made a bet with myself, to see if I can make myself sit through this interview without turning off the radio, I would not have been able to stand such whiny bitch.  

To be fair, and to see if the Fresh Air interview has given this HBO show writer/director fair chance to explain herself, I did go on to YouTube to see the first episode, in which part of the dialog excerpt was played in the interview.  So now, I can be satisfied with myself that, yes this show is indeed so stereotypically horrible and biased and annoying to the nth degree, that there'll be no chance that I would ever see this show.  

Bottomline is, this 23-year-old woman needs to grow up, and to see the real world, rather than few blocks between her NYC existence and her sheltered privilege home afforded to her by her insufferable parents (particularly the dad who has no spine).  Perhaps then, this show might get a bit more interesting, and to have others taken her a bit more seriously, as she has so righteously demanded.

In a way, this is a Sex And The City (SATC) wannabe, casting four female (no, I won't use the word "women" instead they prefer to call themselves "girls" which they clearly are not in a physical sense, yet mentally they most certainly are).  But SATC has the universal appeal of the theme of sex and the quest for love, and the women can be quite funny in their own ways.  It might have been the generational gap thing, but the tone of the four female in this show comes across as whiny, childish, very unfunny, with a subject matter (which I can't care less about) that only appeal maybe to those like them; judging from the criticism it's generated so far, this subset of audience demographics looks to be very small indeed.

I don't want to see this show survives its first season.  Period.

No comments: