Monday, February 14, 2022

On my messed up cumulative stats in Wordle...

So, my broadband hasn't been working and I have to decamp elsewhere for the past few days to work.

As it turns out, Wordle must have tagged the stats either using browser session ID or IP, but due to the reboot of my machine, browsers have all restarted. Even after browsers restore my previous tabs, all my Wordle stats got reset, and I'm starting from Day 1 again.  argh :/

Now that New York Times has paid a six-figure price to buy the Wordle game, hopefully NYT will fix this issue once and for all.  The open question now is, would Wordle continue to be a free game for everyone to play?

There was also news that some know-it-all genius thought that they are so clever, advising people that since Wordle is all just javascript that has little protections of the js files, one can click Save to download the javascript of Wordle, and play the game, like, forever.  

When I say "clever," I don't necessarily mean it in a positive way. Consider this:

  • The browser-based Wordle isn't the only place one can play the game. There are more than enough clones (with the exact same UI/UX and game rules as Wordle) on Apple Store alone that anyone can download to play for free. So...why bother to infringe on the copyright of the original owner of Wordle by downloading his javascript?
  • Presumably too, the javascript contains some 2500 or so five-letter words that Wordle will recycle through. So, yes, you can play it locally forever, but the words will become familiar after, what, six years or so.
  • More importantly, the Wordle game is actually quite simple. The reason it's gone viral, is more about its clean UX to Share the game result with friends without giving out the word-of-the-day. When you play locally, this social element is totally lost. Yes, you can beat the local (or pseudo) Wordle with flying colors, but no one will ever know, nor will anyone care.
  • Truth be told, I've downloaded and played some of Wordle clones on iphone, and they are actually much harder (with more obscure word choice). My bet is, they source from a much larger word library than just 2500+ words.
Long story short, here's my daily dose:

Wordle 237 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pity the cumulative stats are pretty meaningless now.  :/

No comments: