Tuesday, March 15, 2022

On Wordle #269, and a desensitized world...

In an increasingly crazy and chaotic world, playing Wordle can be quite calming, even if #269 is one of those too-many-options games...

Wordle 269 6/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I have to tear my eyes away from all the horrid news on the continuing attack in Ukraine by Russia, now in the 19th day. The Ukrainians are hanging on, but no economic sanctions, however severe they might be, would stop Putin from marching in to complete the annexation of Ukraine. I'm getting so sick and tired of the world appeasing an authoritarian madman like Putin, stands by and does nothing. 

News of Putin asking China for help would not sound so good, no doubt. Russia would naturally deny it, for it'll make them look weak. China would surely deny it, in case sanctions from the West would come to its doorsteps too. But let's face it, everyone knows how the situation is. Everyone knows, even if no one wants to admit to it. The Emperor Has No Clothes On.

How long would the world attention last? In fact, so much of other news have become so commonplace that the "news" doesn't feel like news anymore. I'm talking about the death tolls from opioid overdose, and death tolls from Covid.

Narcan has been hailed as a miracle in saving lives from drug overdose. Sure, it prevents death...but are the lives really "saved"?  The jaded side of me keeps thinking, is there a point reviving an addict every other day so that he (or she) can keep using?  I know it sounds totally politically incorrect, but in a world where resources are not unlimited, would I rather see taxpayers' dollars going to kids' education than to reviving addicts with Narcan everyday, and then open needles exchange so that they can keep using "in a safe environment"? Don't get me wrong, I perfectly understand the practicality of these programs, yet I still can't help thinking, it's just colossal waste of money and resources, to "help" someone who really don't want to be helped. If someone wants to keep using, knowing perfectly well that overdose and death is only one needle away, then nay, I don't see the point of keep filling a hole that has no bottom, a hole that can never be a foundation to build anything on.

In a way, it's the same with all the Covid death. While there are death from breakthrough cases for the vaccinated population, most of the death tolls these days are unvaccinated. Much like the aforementioned addicts, they know full well the consequences, and they still behave the way they do anyways, then I really can't see any point feeling pity for them.

The older I get, the more hardened my heart seems to feel about subjects like these. I don't think these are partisan issues. At least for me, I can be relatively liberal-minded, but my sympathy has limits. Personal choice(s) have consequence, and everyone who makes their choices has to face that music. 

Perhaps that's also a result from a much desensitized world.  I can't recall where this phrase originates, but it's said that, "When Everything Is Important, Then Nothing Is." This is how I feel about the bleeding-heart approach of the far-left progressives, with ambitions to tackle everything all at once. Heck, they are all important, so let's do them all. Go Big Or Go Home. In a nutshell, that's the Democrats' progressives, right there. In essence, that's BBB (Biden's Build Back Better Bill, that's now quite dead).  Apparently these progressives have no clues what it means by choose your battle.


No comments: