Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Last chapter of Harry Potter finally over...

Book 7 (the last book) of Harry Potter is well written, much better written than the previous ones. In the previous books, particularly the last three, when JK Rowling packed in a lot of papers but I would get tuned out at times, I did not suffer the same with the last book. Perhaps there's a tad bit too much of repetition of quidditch or rivalry with Draco Malfoy that had made it feels like it's that same thing all over again. But in a way, it's like art imitates life. So much of what we grow up during the teenage wonder years are filled with things that I might find repetitive year after year, but they hold meanings to me, as part of growing up.

But I like it most with the last book are all the meanings in life that Rowling shares and reveals to us, of the strength in a person is not commensurate to one's age, of Potter comes to search for the meanings of life and everything that makes him so much stronger, of how true friendship will endure it all...

I don't normally re-read books. I don't read books fast. I deliberately slow it down, commit the details in my memory, and when I'm done with a book, I move on. But I'll probably re-read the Harry Potter books again. My kids are too young to understand or appreciate them now. But in time, they will. I'm quite sure of that.

No comments: