Wednesday, July 18, 2007

On Harry Potter Book 7...

Some years back (maybe in 1998) when one of my work colleagues started reading this supposedly children's book Harry Potter. My colleague was foreign born, and I thought, maybe she's reading it to improve her English or something. I didn't think much of it.

And then, my husband bought the hardcover for the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1), and he was intrigued. I should note that he's an avid reader who reads wide range of books and subjects, and is a big fan of fantasy novels. When he's done with it in a couple of days, he highly recommended it.

I go through phases in books, immersing myself in a particular category of books or novels. At the time when my husband pushed Harry Potter to me, I was into detective stories. (I was loading up on Michael Connelly.) I decided to break myself away, and checked it.

And I could see why kids like it, and adults can identify with it. It's a very easy read. Book 1 is still very much a young children's book. As JK Rowling matures, Harry Potter gets progressively harder for younger children. It's ok in this case, since over the past years, those children who started out with Sorcerer's Stone have grown with it, and should not be able to handle more darker subjects.

And now, it's the end game. Book 7, the last in the Harry Potter series, will come out on Saturday (07/21). My husband is going to buy the hardcover. I reserve my copy at the local library, so we don't have to buy two copies, and we can still read it at the same time. Our kids are still too young for it, so they'll have to wait.

It's amazing to see this global "book club," of how people are coming together and discussing anything and everything about Harry Potter. Regardless of the ending, it's a bit sad to know that this is the last. But JK Rowling is smart - It's always better to go out amid strong applause from audience, than to fade in oblivion. (Think Seinfeld.)

PS: I have since grown tired of thrillers like Patricia Cornwall. Too much blood and gory details. And a recent read of a new author called PD Martin of her first book (Body Count) was sooooo disappointing, I've decided it's time to call it a day.

PPS: Detective stories are still good, if they're written well. Recent reads on a few different authors with different writing styles (realistic, to humorous, to lighthearted) are pleasant enough.

PPPS: I want to check out Jan Bourke, after reading a short story of hers in a short story collection. That short story was good.

No comments: