Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On Facebook Ad...

It's the moment of truth, with Big Brother Watching you, circa 2007. That's Facebook Ad, which previously insists users to enter real personal data, and who now turns to sell the users out by exposing them to ads by advertisers.

I suppose it's just a matter of time. I'm not sure why anyone would want to put in any real data on the web. Perhaps the previous argument by the Facebook users was that, it's a closed network, and they were only "seen" by their own friends, or those in the larger academic/university community. Even for this blog, which is a handy way for something else to host my journal of thoughts, I don't think I'll ever put down my (real) name, or where I live etc (though I would have exposed bits and pieces of my personal details, like having kids, and marital status, and gender and so on, they are generic enough that I would not care).

I have hated the idea of having Google searching my gmail contents to target ads to me. That's why nothing is sensitive or too personal in my emails. And, I never, ever pay any attention to those Google ads when I login to gmail anyways. How "targeted" those ads really are, is highly questionable to me.

The act of Facebook in putting out Facebook Ad so soon after Microsoft acquiring a stake in it, reminds me of the Big Brother that Microsoft has always wanted to be, and how easily and quickly Zuckerberg will sell out his users/friends for a good profit. While it might make perfect economical sense for him, shame on him. Let's just wait and see how quick the 50 million users of his are going to ditch him and Facebook.

No comments: