Monday, September 29, 2008

On narcissism of politics and Obama...

I was out for the two summer months overseas, and I'm still working off that piles of magazines that I meant to read regularly. Not that Forbes is my favorite (I'd rather have Fortune and BusinessWeek for lighter read), but it has its moment.

Forbes has this section of Other Comments, in which it quotes a passage from Charles Krauthammer in Washington Post. It's marked Me, Myself and I. It's about Barack Obama, and it's sooo funny that I have to quote it here in my journal to give myself a chuckle when I need a chuckle. And here it goes:

"...There's nothing new about narcissism in politics. Every senator looks in the mirror and sees a president. Nonetheless, has there ever been a presidential nominee with a wider gap between his estimation of himself and the sum total of his lifetime achievements?

Obama is a three-year senator without a single important legislative achievement to his name, a former Illinois state senator who voted "present" nearly 130 times. As president of the Harvard Law Review, as law professor and as legislator, has he ever produced a single notable piece of scholarship? Written a single memorable article? His most memorable work is a biography of his favorite subject: himself..."

It's so true about Barack Obama. It's no wonder that the young crowd loves him. He exemplifies this me-generation so perfectly.

No comments: