Saturday, September 27, 2008

On the verdict of first presidential debate 2008...

I don't have a TV, so I watched the first presidential debate of 2008 between John McCain and Barack Obama belatedly.

I don't know how anyone could have argue who the winner was. If those talking heads were thinking/basing their conclusions on who won the debate solely on the TV votes, they would, without a doubt, get a winner in Obama. It's natural, because it's highly unlikely to get older voters to participate TV votes like this, which is a fancy gimmick of the younger generations.

As I see it, Obama has better debate skills, but he didn't answer alot of questions that were posted to him. On one question about handling foreign powers, Obama even brought up Joe Biden (his veep pick) as the answer, meaning Obama himself has nothing to offer.

McCain surely came across as the guy who's ready to hit the ground running on day one, the same way Hillary Clinton would have been, should she have been the Democratic nominee. Both camps have succeeded in demonstrating the big gulf of differences between the two candidates, where we have a younger guy who talks well but offers nothing else, and an older guy who's been-there-done-that and who more than a few occasions asserted how naive Obama is and that Obama simply doesn't understand the situations.

I don't understand people would count it against McCain, given his age. I have little doubt that he's going to be the guy who can get the job done. Even if I don't agree with all the positions of McCain (and Clinton would have been my choice, if she's on top of the ticket), I have made up my mind to vote for McCain in Nov.

No comments: