Friday, September 5, 2008

On the first day of school...

There's always this mixed feeling when summer holiday ends and school starts. It's no difference, now that I'm a parent rather than a student. It's probably high time that I should take stock on what's been happening, and what is to come.

Right now, I'm relishing the chirping of cicada in the trees outside our windows in night time. I'm still cherishing the memories of going away for the two summer months overseas to catch up with all the friends and family, what with all the rush to fly out only in June, and now we're safely back home.

Everything always seems to be in a rush in Hong Kong, with one of the main activities being to plan for which restaurant to eat out in the next meal. As for the kids, I'm sure they have more than enough stimuli to just FEEL busy, in particular, in August when most every Olympic games were covered on TV in Hong Kong.

In a way, I'm glad we don't have a TV back home. I have no doubt that they'll become coach potatoes in no time. It's a major distraction even for me, and I couldn't seem to focus on doing any reading.

If it has not been the kids' summer vacation, I would not have stayed in Hong Kong over the summer. By jove, it's so hot and humid. On a particularly bad day of air pollution, even I (a healthy adult) found difficulty in breathing. The A/C from high rise (and more high rise), and numerous double-decker buses certainly don't help. I don't know how people could cope.

Business wise, we learnt quite a fair bit, and make some sale. I really look forward to the next marketing push (though things won't come cheap).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that school starts again for the kids, everything seems to be getting back to its regular rhythm. I guess my own eagerness (to pick up the speed on accomplishing things) is matched by the anxiety level of the kids going back to school.

It's going to be a good year.

No comments: