Monday, February 2, 2009

On learning musical instruments...

I have always loved learning musical instruments since I was a kid. I like piano, in particular. But it never happened. Music lessons were (and still are) expensive. A large family with five kids mean we didn't get to those extra-circular activities that could be done without.

In the past year or so, my kids have, at different points in time, expressed interests in learning musical instruments. After his school starts teaching recorder in the music lessons, my son has been playing it every night, on his own initiative. Over the past summer, my daughter said she wants to learn violin too. So, now she's practising maybe 1-1.5 hours every night.

This past Christmas, we bought a piano to make it easier for her to tune and practice the violin. Now, my son says he wants to learn piano too.

I must say though, that the kids really do pick things up much faster: the fingering practice, reading of the music notes, and a much sharper ear. I still have comparatively flexible fingers, but maybe I have other worries on my mind to distract, or that I'm just getting older. In any case, I'm trying to pick up playing the piano on the side as well. It's hard work, and I'm able to play simple songs already, after practicing for not too long. I still have a long way to go though, in terms of reading the notes, and coordinating my left and right hands and fingers.

I know someday, I'm going to be able to play songs from music books, and I would be proud of my accomplishment. It'll probably take me a long while. For now, I'll have to focus on work and the advanced degree that I'm going to start this year. (In a sluggish economy like now, it doesn't hurt to go back to school.)

2 comments:

Frora Bosh said...

I admire you efforts--and I think that their is no age bondage in learning anything. It's all depends on the love and dedication toward the work...

tiddle said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I have always liked musical instruments, and piano would be my first choice. I don't think I have the ears for violin anymore. Unless it's very out of tune, I can't tell if a note is sharp or flat. I practice every time the kids practice, and I enjoy learning with them. It's fun, young and old. :)