Monday, February 2, 2009

On the worst snow storm in England since 1991...

Every time when there's news about snow storm (which is quite rare) in England, it brings back memory. Right now, England is experiencing its worst snow storm in 18 years, since 1991.

It reminds me of my dorm days back in 1991, the day we're supposed to move dorms before the Christmas school holidays. I woke up to find one third of my window in the tiny dorm room covered. That was new to me, since I'd never seen snow. I went to the window, just to see everything (the field, trees and bushes outside my window, for as far as I can see) covered in white snow. My room was on the 3rd floor. I ran to the stairs where there's a bigger window looking out to the other side of the university and the roof tops of mostly residential buildings further out. Everything white, clean, and very pretty. I remember the picture brought a smile to my face.

The whole dorm was buzzing with excitement and activities. Most students were supposed to be picked up by parents/relatives, and go home for the Christmas holiday. For those of us who stayed, we're supposed to move to a few designated dorms, probably for reasons of security and energy conservation. Everyone was happy that school was over, but no parents yet - which means, party time. Loud music and all night partying in the kitchen ensued. Everyone was running up and down the stairs, and chatting joyously.

But the fun didn't last too long. England is not used to having snow. Like the snow storm right now, which goes to only 8 inches accumulation (try comparing that to New England or Midwest winter), it paralyzed the country. Most families were unable to arrive in short order. By the third day of stranding in the dorm, the novelty wore off. Everyone just sat staring blankly at the small TV in the kitchen. As the power lines were down, we were advised not to drink water straight from the tap. Someone started plugging one of the bathtubs to save water in order for a decent cup of tea!!! We were running low on food as well. You could feel the worries in the air.

I can't remember clearly now when families started coming in to pick up my dorm-mates. It probably took more than 4 days before they started arriving. In the end, everyone was so happy to see their family to come pick them up, that there're very few cheery goodbyes and see-yas. Some of my friends helped me wheeled my meagre, worldly belongings to the new, temporary dorm in a supermarket trolley. I must say, I was very happy to see myself moved finally as well.

Such was my memory of one of England's worst snow storms, in 1991. And the memory will stay with me forever.

No comments: