Saturday, April 12, 2008

On Obama stumbling...

For a candidate who builds most (if not all) of his momentum on fancy words and speeches, it's simply spectacular to see how Obama putting toe in his mouth, when he lectures down-and-out small-towners in Pennsylvania, on the voters' bitterness of losing out in the jobs market, and resorting to guns and religion. Not only was it amazing to see how oblivious this guy is, in thinking that everyone would drink their words in like kool-aid, but that he had refused to back down on his words, in the face of criticisms from John McCain and Hillary Clinton of how elitist and condescending he was to the small-town loser voters (to Obama). Even more amazing is the fact that it took Obama and his team a couple of days, before he realized he needed to apologize (he "deeply regret" the comment), albeit refusing to back down on his characterization of the voters' situations.

If I were someone who's lost my job, were down-and-out, and someone were to come in, and tell me my situation that I perfectly know ("who is this guy to come in and tell me how I should feel"), and I'm still bitter for my situation as a loser, that by implication, any of my concerns in guns and religion are misguided, or even wrong, would I vote for this someone who's telling my how things are, without offering a plan of how he would fix things for me? Would I? Does Obama think small-town working middle-class American voters are really that darn stupid to think that by doing that, he's going to get the votes?

On a different note, I was appalled at his utter hypocrisy, when he tried to characterize the exit of the Clinton's strategist, Mark Penn, for inappropriate comments, and said he would fire him, if he were Clinton. All the while when the exact same thing happened to Obama's own adviser, Samantha Power, and he never fired her, but she was pressured to resign (same as Mark Penn). And that, albeit huge controversy of explicit racism and utterly unpatriotic references in Rev Wright sermons over the years, Obama would not condemn or dissociate his pastor of 20 years.

I can only say that, should this have been Hillary Clinton, the main media would have crucified her for these events, without waiting for GOP 527's to lift a finger. In today's New York Times website, the Obama stumbling does not even get mentioned. I just can't freaking believe the kind of discrimination that's going on, and how easy Obama is getting off with.

But I would say that, Obama would lose Pennsylvania for this and his handling of the Wright controversy. Should he win the nomination, McCain is going to win. (At least I would vote for McCain, if Clinton is not on the ballot. Afterall, McCain is probably one of the most liberal GOP's there is.)

No comments: