Monday, April 7, 2008

On the plagiarism of Mark Zuckerberg...

I've never had very high regard of Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook. I have little patience for the seemingly glowing account of this guy by pee-ons who worship anyone with personal net wealth of $1 billion or more. Not only do I find nothing much new with Facebook, I despise his very public plagiarism of the original idea of Facebook from the guys who hired him to work on their new web idea. While Zuckerberg might think settling the case might get it go away, fat chance dude. Even my seven-year-old knows that what's left on the web stays there forever.

The same goes with the two guys who founded YouTube and made off billions selling to Google. Yes, it's a service that people have come to use often, but there's no genius in it, the same way Facebook is remaking Friendster and MySpace.

While I never really like Bill Gates and the hard-balls that Microsoft plays, but there's no denying that he's done great work in heading off Windows to becoming near monopoly in the PC OS world (albeit the fact that he's copying ideas from Apple and Jobs). But then, history will have them in their proper place, and Gates would never be able to catch up with the aura of Jobs (although Gates would certainly be the first in pioneering large-scale philanthropy with his charity work at the Gates Foundation).

Shame on Zuckerberg.

4 comments:

Let'stalk said...

Shame on Zuckerberg is correct. To this day I can't bring myself to joining the Facebook crowd because of the unethical actions of this guy when he founded Facebook. You have to ask yourself, as a business person, what was Zuckerberg's mission. Before I invest in any product or company I examine the heart and soul of the CEO. Zuckerberg's unethical behavior is one I can not resonate with and, therefore, I may be the last person on earth who is not on Facebook.

tiddle said...

I'm totally with you on this. You're not alone in not touching FB. Count me in for those committed to not use FB. I neither find the need or time for it, on top of shady ethics of Zuckerberg.

No doubt some would say the same was true with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates too (in copying the GUI and mouse idea from Xerox). But it's an idea that they run with, rather than taking someone's money, pretend to work for them when in fact secretly working on your own site with the exact same functionality for faster time-to-market. I find that very repulsive; it's not just stealing, it's betrayal to me.

Lela Gary said...

SHAME both Zuckerberg and the unprincipled public that idolizes
goons with lot of money...
As for the twins, they proved to be just as greedy and naive to settle, instead of fighting for the principle of the whole.

tiddle said...

Ah, the Winklevoss twins are just opportunistic idiots with some vague ideas and money from family to buy others out (in their hopes). Speculation in bitcoins would suit such people.

'nuf said about the Zuckerberg guy. I'm long done with this guy.

Interestingly, my kids (pre-teens) think FB is old-schooled. The goalpost of social media moves faster than quicksand.