Thursday, April 10, 2008

On Obama's claim on foreign policy experience...

I know I'm biased to a certain extent, but I can't help feeling flabbergasted every time I see Barack Obama put a spin on his "experience" to further his claim that he would make a better commander-in-chief or president.

Such is a claim he noted, that the few personal trips (which lasted for a few weeks visiting relatives) that he took would trump foreign policy experience. He claims that by looking at things "first hand," he would make a better commander-in-chief. By that same token, he's telling me that those who are in trouble zone right now (eg. refugees, Iraqis) would make pretty good military decisions, should they become the commander-in-chief.

I could tell him too, that I've probably been to more countries than he had. So, I should be better suited to be commander-in-chief too.

My answer to that is, no I don't think so. Personal past experience shape a person, but not all experiences are created equal. I don't consider his personal trips trump the real-life war experience from John McCain, or the foreign policy and white house exposure that Hillary Clinton. They don't even come close. No wonder he made all those naive and laughable suggestion that he would have "sit-downs" with dictators to have a heart-to-heart chat. He would probably make a pretty good mormon missionary, if he puts on dark pants, a clean short-sleeved white shirt, and a name tag on his shirt.

No comments: