Monday, November 3, 2008

On the eve of Election Day 2008...

I'm somewhat of an anomaly in terms of politics. One may say I'm a liberal, fiscal-conservative. While I have roots in faith, I don't really go to church. I'm liberal in terms of most social issues, and I strongly believe in fiscal discipline. And I have distinct idea of what government should and should not do. (Government is not all bad, and it plays a pivotal role in maintaining a level playing field, be it social safety net, education, and basic infrastructure.) So, on most days, if you're debating with me, you would see me bounce between the positions held by GOP and Dem.

Most days, I listen to NPR. I like its depth and usually even-keeled coverage, but I've become enraged by the Obama-leaning coverage that I've stopped listening to NPR, and read news online instead. While I shouldn't have been surprised by the left-leaning coverage of NPR, I find it highly distasteful for NPR to off-handedly slight McCain, in favor of Obama. It makes me sick.

While I had considered myself detached in terms of politics, I've also come to realize that this election has become highly personal to me. I've come to view Hillary Clinton as a candidate who can present my positions, and is the most qualified among all in this campaign season (including McCain, and definitely Obama). I also know now, that I have come to dislike Obama so much so, that I'm very willing to elect McCain, whose positions I might not agree with all the time (eg. his positions of less regulations is a disaster), in order to keep Obama out.

Some may say, I'm being unrealistic; I'm being childish, to throw out the baby (Dem) with the bath water (Obama). But there have been so much negativity, and so much patronizing of the Obama camp in the blogosphere, to the essence that Clinton supporters like me should just shut up and suck it up. That's the part when I would not take, sitting down. The way that Obama supporters try to shout down dissenters, the more my blood boils.

And all these have nothing to do with Obama's skin color. Quite far from it, it's his demeanor, and his way to present himself as the heir without the throne, yet everyone has to salute him all the same, that gets to me.

Perhaps the latest NPR report of how hard it would be for Dem to win a majority vote, even in the face of a hugely unpopular president (George W Bush with 20% approval rating that was down from 90%), tremendous budget deficit, economy in recession, terrible job market and salary growth, and financial market in disaster.

Tomorrow (Nov 4th) is the moment of truth, and we'll find out if how much of this youth propaganda of Change is going to get materialized, and how much of the so-called small donors translate into real votes. I'll venture to say, that most real voting citizens (particularly the more senior folks) don't go romper-stomper on blogs and get TV coverage, but they're the one to vote.

If Obama really is winning, he would have Bill Clinton's roaring, heady economic days to think for (that people to yearn for), rather than his stupid, empty slogans of hope or change.

No comments: