Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On horrendous child sexual abuse in family...

I always feel so sickened after reading reports of horrendous child sexual abuse, particularly those in family. Today there's another such report about a British man who abuses his two daughters for 27 long years, and impregnated them 19 times. I feel so sick after reading it, and cannot even imagine how it's like to be raped daily by one's own father.

The only question that I have (which was not mentioned in the article) is, where was the mother when all these happened? How could the authority have done nothing when there's been alleged abuses going on? Obviously, this father is all evil. But our society has failed these two girls so miserably, and letting them suffer all these years. My heart aches when I think of that.

When I was younger, I have had ideas of becoming a policewoman, so that I can help those in need. By and by, a career in police force fell on the wayside, although my hope to help people in need has never died. Now that I've been well on another career, I always wonder how I could help. I have thoughts of changing career at some point and working for philanthropy, but I have always wondered if philanthropy has enough of a social impact; even one as big as The Gates Foundation struggles to get visible results in third world countries, not to mention daily social ills in our own societies.

If only we have superheroes like Batman or Spiderman to do immediate good and punish the evils...

No comments: