Sunday, May 17, 2009

On Gap jeans and fashion...

I used to be a perfect UK size 8. I like shopping in Asia too, eg. Hong Kong, because the clothing in stores are always a perfect fit for me. I have never needed to make any modifications when I go shopping. I used to also like shopping at UK stores in Hong Kong like Dodwell. I like the British stores too, because I like the more long-lasting styling.

But that was then, some 15 years ago. A lot have changed since then. Dodwell is now replaced with Marks & Spencer, which is pretty much everywhere in Hong Kong. Fashion has changed so much too, from the oversized shoulder pads (Dallas style), to the low-rise jeans (Britney Spear style).

Granted that I'm a perfect UK size 8, I didn't always find the clothings I like in Asia. Fashion in Asia is heavily influenced by Japan, but the more elaborate Japanese fashion isn't really to my liking. I guess I've always been the LLBean or Lands End kind of gal, even before I knew the existence of these brands.

I remember when I first moved to America, I was both delighted and dismay at the same time on my first outing to shop for clothes. I like the more down-to-earth styling (like Lands End), but to my dismay, the US sizes are so very big. This was before I discover that I need to shop for the "petit" section, and hunt for size 2 or below. It's hard work sometimes, but at least there's an option. Tops are easier to fit, but pants always "kill" me. To my dismay, it's almost impossible for me to find a pair of pants or jeans in America. I always have to shop for pants on my trips to Asia. Maybe my legs are too short. :)

So, you can imagine how happy I was, when I found that the Gap jeans, original boot cut, fit me quite well. I normally stock up on a few pairs since I wear jeans all the time. That can last me for at least 3-4 years.

Last week, I realized that my last pair of original boot cut Gap jeans has a 2-inch tear right under one of the back pockets. Yes, that's right - it's where the butts are, and I have to get new pairs. I thought it'll be a piece of cake. I know the store (Gap), the size (US size 2 regular), the style (original boot cut). How can anything go wrong? Afterall, it's "original," and must always be around.

This afternoon, I went to a nearby Gap store, hoping to buy a few pairs of Gap jeans again. I was dismay that, first, they replace the original boot cut with the mid-rise boot cut, low-rise boot cut, or ultra low-rise boot cut. There's nothing "original" about it anymore. I was hoping maybe the mid rise boot cut could suffix. (I hate low rise pants. Anyone wearing low rise pants should be mandated by law to use suspenders.) So, I grapped two sizes (size 2 and size 1) of the mid rise boot cut to the fitting room, thinking it could probably be an easy fit.

You cannot imagine how angry I was, when I realize that the size 2 is not a size 2 at all. The part (butt, thigh) where it's close fitting becomes form fitting. The part where it's wide (the cuff) becomes so wide that it's like a parachute. And the length of the jeans has at least 2 extra inches to it, so that you would literally be dragging your jeans on the road, no doubt performing some public service to clean the road at the same time.

I was so peeved that I dropped the jeans, and left with my kids, vowing never to return to Gap again.

I cannot believe how the designers of Gap sell out the more loyal customer base, to try and chase the fickly fashion of the late teens crowd. Didn't Gap already have had a mishap of dropping the iconic Gap khaki style for the more "modern" look, marginalizing and chasing away its more mature, loyal customer base in khaki? Well, apparently Gap just chased me away over jeans as well. Gap will never see me again.

2 comments:

Judy Reimer said...

You posted your comment about Gap "Original" Boot Cut jeans a while ago; but I TOTALLY agree! I am sitting here, in my very worn (frayed hems, hole under the right knee, etc.) sz 4 pair, which I tried to replace today. The "1969" jeans at Gap, which I tried on, do NOT come close to the comfort and proper fit of these "Original" jeans. I hate shopping for jeans, but will have to try a different brand, because Gap is no longer right for me either. Did you ever find a good substitute?

tiddle said...

Hi Judy: Yes, I'm happy to report that I've found some stop-gap measures to relieve my jeans dilemma. I've since found people selling Gap's jeans, original boot cut, size 2 regular/long, on eBay. Although they don't come up too often, most auctions that fit my criteria are pretty good in condition. Better yet, they're just a fraction of the original retail price. I can't tell you how happy I was to find this alternative, but I know there will come a day when anyone who has a pair of Gap original boot cut, size 2 regular, would have sold it or thrashed it already. For good measure, I've now stocked up 20 of them. This should last me for a very long, probably until I get so old that my butts won't hold up any jeans anymore. You can give it a try, and good luck. :)