Monday, October 25, 2010

On the end of Sony Walkman...

I feel sad, when learning of Sony's decision to retire its Walkman. I haven't been a big fan of Walkman since I don't need my music to go where I go. (For much the same reason, I'm not a big fan of boombox either.) But Walkman associates with it some memories of mine that has come to pass.

When I left Lehman to go back to college more than two decades ago, my boss gave me a gift of a Sony Walkman. I had no idea what I would do with it, and he explained to me that I could record lectures and listen to them again, should the need arise. It had never occurred to me that I would not pay enough attention to the lectures that I would miss anything. In any case, a gift is a gift, and it's a thoughtful, no less.

I used my Walkman for a handful of times in college, all within the first month. I sat in the first rows, hoping that that reception for the recording would be good enough. It didn't. I would replay the lectures afterwards, just to hear how the sound quality of it. It turned out, the professors sounded like they were swimming under water while talking, and I could only hear less than 10% of what they said.

As the Walkman didn't do much to me, and the price of two AA batteries was too much for me (I had no rechargeable battery for it), plus the hassle of moving dormitory halls on campus more than four times in the school year and I wanted to shed as much luggage and possessions as I could, I sold it.

I miss it (for the memory), and I don't miss it (for its non-use). But everytime when Sony Walkman is mentioned, it brings me back that small piece of memory of college gift. It would still bring a smile to me.

No comments: