Sunday, February 13, 2011

On the decline in popularity of McMansions...

McMansions used to be the big thing, the ultimate trophy to show off one's excess and outsized wealth in the boom time. Since the mortgage crisis set in in end 2008, and the ensuing Great Recession which still sees close to 10% unemployment more than two years later, it's not surprising to see the decline in popularity of McMansions.

I don't know about you, but I always find the new money and McMansions too gaudy for me. I'm one of those who want low maintenance, self reliance, and maximum efficiency. I want to know and use intimately every inch of my home. If we need three bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, and living room, that's what I'm going for. I don't need three+ extra bedrooms that never get used. I don't need to spend double on utility bill on A/C in summer and heating in winter, twice too big for me. I don't want to dust and clean the space that I rarely set foot in. And if I have to keep the doors closed to keep the dust out, that would mean I would not bother opening those doors. I don't want a yard and garden three times the size of the house, then pay someone to rake leaves, landscape it, and shovel snow, just to keep up the appearance with the neighbors, because I want to be able to do all these. With career and business venture going in parallel with the family needs, I can't afford to spare my time on these wasted space. This is not to mention about the big roof, big water boiler, an unnecessarily big property tax bill, and what-not, that go with a McMansion. And I can go on and on about this.

In short, I don't know why people would need (or want, even) such a big McMansion, except for vanity. Sure, sometimes I look at some houses, I would say to myself, that looks nice. But my mom raises me as such a pragmatic person that my second thought would always start with maintenance. And, high maintenance is a big turn-off for me.

I grew up a city girl, and I like the low maintenance of condo. My husband grew up in big house. Even though he doesn't like the maintenance that goes with it and the fact that he'll be tied down to the chores of the house, he acknowledges the benefits of having outdoor space to play with the kids. To that, I always tell him, the park is right next door from us. It'll be foolhardy for us not to make sure of these free public space when we have paid our dues in property taxes. Better yet, we won't have to mawn the grass or rake leaves or shovel snow in the park. Whenever we want to have extended vacations, we can simply lock our door and go. The only hassle is to ensure that our mails are held at the post office, and we can pay bills online. Condo is the perfect solution for me.

I'm sure there'll be some regrets at some point, maybe of my husband, or of my kids, that they won't be growing up with our own opening space. That may well be, but I haven't got to that point yet. Perhaps by the time I get to feel those regrets, it's time for me to move to retirement village. :)

2 comments:

Gweipo said...

well timed post as our family looks to move to Singapore where we could finally afford to rent a house with a garden ... Condo living appeals to me also for the social side for the kids - ready made playdates any time of day or night.

tiddle said...

Ah, living space in Asia, be it Singapore or Hong Kong or Japan, there are added challenges. As the Cantonese saying goes, one has to "measure inches of spaces with feet of gold." You're indeed the lucky ones to get a garden in those places. Enjoy. :)