Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On the definition of what constitutes Europe...

We all have certain definitions and facts in our heads that we've accepted as truth or conventional wisdom. There are times, though, when articles come along that throw everything up in the air.

Today, I read an article in NYTimes about What Is Europe. It's interesting because I have a rather well-defined (at least I thought I have) notion of what Europe is in my head, that it hasn't occurred to me to really put that into very concrete details. The article documents the moving targets of what defines and constitutes Europe, say, geographically, or culturally, or economically, and so on. I presume I would have a quick answer to that question rightaway, but I find myself having second thoughts.

I don't think I accept some of the notions noted in the article. Upon introspection, I realize that I have never really accepted the notion of the financial unions of the Euro, as it is now, that includes some Eastern European countries and smaller cohorts like Cyprus. The "Europe" in my head really is the "western Europe" before the Cold War ended; hence, Switzerland and Britain are part of the "Europe" in my head, even though they have not joined the Euro. And then there is Eastern Europe, that consists of those countries in the Balkans, stretching from Warsaw Pact all the way to the new neighbors like Ukraine that have broken away from USSR. Eastern Europe ends when Russia starts. (No, Russia has never been part of my "Europe.") And then, there are the Mediterranean countries that includes Turkey and Greece that have never been part of my "Europe" either. The northern part of Europe, technically the Scandinavia, including countries like Norway and Finland, is part of my "Europe" though.

As the article has rightly noted, everyone has their own idea of what "Europe" is, much like a kaleidoscope in which everyone sees their own version of pattern, even though they're looking at the same thing. I guess this is my definition of it, albeit a vague one. In retrospect, my own private "Europe" is subject to much scrutiny since this "Europe" isn't even that coherent anyways. One could argue that maybe it's more along congregate around Christianity, or Anglo-Saxon culturally. But in the modern society, this might not even hold true anymore.

As such, don't ask me to argue for it, since my definition is highly subjective. I'm sure in a few generations, the definition of what "Europe" is, is going to change yet again. At least at this point in time, my definition of "Europe" is good enough for me, for now.

But at least you know, if I tell you I'm going to visit Turkey, I won't tell you I'm visiting Europe; if I'm going to visit Plague, I'm going to Eastern Europe; but if I'm visiting Finland, I might say, I'm visiting Scandinavia or Europe (since this is interchangeable in my head). This sure can be confusing to others who have a different definitions of "Europe." No matter, I'm sure we mostly live our lives just fine, with only a vague notion of what Europe consists of, even though the current financial mess of Euro in Europe is sure to induce pain to far-flung countries around the globe.

No comments: