Monday, January 22, 2007

On mediocre fund performance...

Recently Janus sent me the year end IRA statement. For the past 5 years, I've been kicking myself on making this bad decision of buying Janus' funds for the IRA. Every quarterly statement confirms that. The performance of not one, but two funds, that I bought, is very mediocre at best. Oh, did I mention that these are two of the better performing funds in the Janus funds family already?

My feeling is, much like the health care industry being prop'ed up by government regulations (if we have had universal health care, 98% of the HMO industry will be gone right this minute), all these IRA's and 401k's are just prop'ed up by government rules. Most managers of active funds are no better than indexed funds, year in year out. If it's not these rules and regulations to mandate these funds to be there, and for a very long time, I'd dare say, 90% of the funds will be drained.

I suppose Janus is a bad example too, for its funds in general just have very poor performance. I should stop complaining and roll it over to somewhere else, like Vanguard or T Rowe Price.

No comments: