Wednesday, January 31, 2007

That fateful day, in Oct 1987 when the market fell...

I still remember quite vividly, that fateful day in October 1987. That Black Monday, when the market opened, and the actions began...

I started with this small financial advisory firm in the fall of 1987. Business was thriving. The young guys were aggressive, and it specialized in pushing funds to wealthy clients. Back then, funds is still a new concept, but it was catching on. It was called "unit trust", with customers buying "units" in the trusts (funds). Performance charts of almost all funds (like the Thornton Tiger Fund) pointed only up, in steep curve. Life was good, and everyone was happy. I had this part time job there, Girl Friday kinda job, but I had alot of flexibility. The founder even thought me how to do programming (my first taste in software development), and it's fun.

Firms like this lived on commissions (from fund houses) selling funds. The process of buying/selling fund was still

No comments: