Tuesday, October 9, 2007

On Google/IBM providing resources to teach cloud computing to academia...

I'm glad to read that Google and IBM are joining force to provide the resources (including hardware, lots of it) to academia, to teach cloud computing. It certainly makes for great news headline for the company.

What I do wonder though, is how vigorous this course is going to be, when it's taught by a software engineer in Google who went straight to work there he finished college and two colleagues of his. Don't get me wrong, I strongly support the idea. And I don't mean to sound demeaning for anyone as young as this guy is to touch an important course. For goodness sake, it's a tremendous success on his part to champion and contribute such a course to future computing science students.

I would very keen to find out how this "do no evil" company can hold up his attention on community endeavors like this in, say, three years' time, and how much concrete good will come out of it. Sustainability and continuous improvement are the order of the day.

PS: Oh, have they decided on how to measure the success (aka milestone) of the course?

No comments: