Tuesday, February 5, 2008

On the Irish success in getting rid of disposable bags...

It's uplifting to see people doing the right thing. But it's particularly exhilarating to see that deep-seated consumer behavior can be changed so swiftly and seamlessly, for the greater good of the environment.

Thus, when I read the article on the success of Ireland in changing consumer attitude and behavior toward the use of disposable bags, it feels so good. Of significance is how the way it's done. All it takes is the political will to mandate a 33-cent per disposable bag used by consumers, and the general public falls into line quickly; gradually turning the use of disposable bags into a social stigma, thereby further educating the next generations and reducing the chance of regressing back into the old bad habits of using disposable bags.

Even if we are not fanatical environmentalists, the mere facts that half a million bags are used per minute, and 42 billion bags are used in January, are enough to bring goosebumps to me. How much are we throwing into landfills everyday, and how much of those can be salvaged, reused, or even avoided?!? Disposable bags are bad too, since they are not biodegradable. It is completely unnecessary, and perfectly avoidable. All we have to do is to be a little more conscious of our behavior, suffer initial minor inconvenience, and thereby changing our attitude/behavior toward the use of disposable plastic bags.

The approach that Ireland is sensible and easy to understand. Why it is that other countries and politicians (eg. US) cannot find the courage or leadership to do that, is simply beyond my comprehension.

These days, I bring my cloth bag for groceries, whenever I can. Even if I don't remember it, I would hold as much stuffs in my own hand, thus avoiding using double-bags. Sometimes (actually it happens alot of times) when I see bottles or cans on roadside, I would pick them up, throw them in the car, and bring them to recycle bins. I would recycle most trash at home. (Yes, those plastic containers for sushi can be recycled after a rinse.) And why not - it doesn't cost me anything. The least that I hope is that, I can instill the belief to my kids, that we do have a responsibility to the environment that we live in. We cannot simply take, without giving back. We simply can't.

No comments: