Thursday, February 7, 2008

On the waif-life male models...

The grunge and waif look started by Kate Moss in the 1990s has spilled over to the male model world. Reading about the diminishing male model figures makes me queasy. But I'm surprised that the article would blame it on the consumers for "wanting" it (ie. the look), and the fashion/modeling industry are simply delivering what we the consumers want.

No, I do not want heroine chic. I cringe every time I see under-aged boy- and girl-models in the glossy magazines. In fact, I refrain from buying from those brands that use such ad, even if it's brand names that I like, including Louis Vuitton. Those underage and underweight obsessions do not come from me, and I would venture to say most consumers in the market. We do get used to it, and those sick modeling images do get sanitized. But we have to - otherwise, we wouldn't be able to get the day, without the ability to ignore billboards, magazines, TV commercials, and what-have-you.

These days, the more impressionable teens and younger generations do follow these sick trends without much thoughts. That does not make this trend any one bit less repulsive to me. It's just not normal to me.

No comments: