Thursday, February 7, 2008

On the theatrics of classical pianists...

I always find it distracting and annoying, to put it mildly, to see pianists (or any other instrumentalists) playing classical in great theatrics. I'm thus happy to read the article in New York Times, that puts me in good company with similar feelings. As the article sums it up well, that with "The Apollonian refers (and I paraphrase) to symmetry, invention and elegance; the Dionysian, to art more from the gut, more spontaneous. ... Dionysian pianists care about Dionysian pianists, whereas Apollonian pianists care about music."

That's how I feel when I look at young up-and-comers like Lang Lang performing on stage HIMSELF, rather than the music itself. To me, they love themselves more than the music, and I find that fake.

No comments: