Thursday, January 1, 2009

On a fresh start of a new year!!!

Ah, first day of the year. I woke up this morning by my kids, as always, bouncing around my bed, calling "Wake Up! Wake Up!" as I blinked to the bright sun over still-clean, white snow on everything outside the windows. I feel great today, and of the year (and years) ahead of us.

Apparently, my husband is feeling the same kind of energy. Over the Christmas and New Year, he bought a piano for the kids, and a sewing machine for our girl since she likes to do all sorts of arts and crafts.

But the Singer sewing machine broke down after the first few trial runs. A big ball of threads were built up under the needle. I probably didn't do the bobbin properly or something. My mom used to have an old Singer mechanical sewing machine, which ran great and never broke down. She does all sorts of crafty stuffs, like making clothing patterns to make clothing for the whole family, knitting, tatting, and all sorts of crafty stuffs. Even though I'm a full-time working mother, I probably still love the idea of a versatile mother who knows all sorts of things, and I know that my kids like that too, judging from the way they feel the love when looking at me tatting etc.

My husband also took up the challenge of fixing our bedroom door. It would close properly after we had to take it down to move some furniture into the room. It's been ajar for the longest time. Since the bedroom windows are drafty in winter too, we're losing heat at home at an alarming rate, no doubt. So, this morning, out of his success in making the bobbin work in the sewing machine (after I cleaned out the stuck ball of threads in the bobbin case), he has this leftover energy to fix the door too.

He's one of those guys who would buy things everything he goes to Home Depot. He bought this new power drill (and it's our second or third power drill already), and felt the need to put it to good use. It might as well, since we finally got the door fixed. And he sealed the windows to stop the draft.

For this 1.5 weeks of school holidays (winter break for Christmas and New Year), we had originally thought the kids might get bored, and we should enroll them on some programs/activities to keep them interested. We ended up not doing any of those, saving a few hundred bucks, and the kids love the time at home (since they have busy schedules for school all the after-school activities, and private tutoring).

Sometimes, parenting is not so hard.

No comments: