Tuesday, January 13, 2009

On reminiscing the Rainbow Room...

Most everyone knows about The Rainbow Room in the Rockefeller Center in New York and its subsequent closing that has everyone saddened.

While I was reading about that Rainbow Room, it reminds me of another Rainbow Room from another time. I was thinking of The Rainbow Room in the Lee Gardens Hotel in Hong Kong.

I still remember quite vividly my first time there, in the 1980s, in a lunch with a business client and my team. While it's not as grand as the one in New York, it has its uniqueness from the colonial era, with tall window that let in all the sun and the high ceiling. I don't remember much about the food which, while decent, was not exceptionally, as far as I can recall.

Much like all the old structures and landmarks in Hong Kong, I found out that Lee Gardens Hotel has since been renovated, the Lee Theatre now long gone, and the whole area in the vicinity was ripped out with a face-lift.

While I've heard about the closing of Lee Threatre some time back, I had not known that Lee Gardens Hotel and that area around Hysan Road that I have come to know for a long time are now all but unrecognizable. I must say, I'm quite saddened by it.

No comments: