Sunday, January 18, 2009

On library, its usage in tough economic times et al...

No one should be surprised to find reported increased usage of public libraries in this tough economic times.

I've always liked libraries since I was little. Every time I go to a library, surrounded by shelves after shelves of books, I feel elated. I would get very excited and want to read all the books I can get my hands on.

As I have quite recently found out too, that apart from Netflix (my main entertainment of DVD and instant-viewing movies and shows after becoming a parent), the DVD collections in the public library (both in my town and the nearby towns where I frequently travel to) are surprisingly extensive.

I'm glad that my kids have come to love reading and all sorts of books since they're very young. Both of them are now reading pre-teen books like Harry Potter, which they have started on since they're 4-5. Once we start reading, we would lose track of time.

Libraries are particularly useful since the kids are now reading so fast and the interests so vast, that it's impossible to buy them 10-12 new books to quell their appetite. I find it rather wasteful too, to physically buy the books, spend the money, and have trees cut down for the printing. I do believe that, as a reader, we have a duty to support authors and the publishing industry, while being responsible to the environment. Perhaps one day, devices like Kindle would become easy enough to use, with rechargeable battery from renewable source (rather than taxing more on the national grid), that we won't have to resort to buying print books to support the industries.

I must say too, though, that I absolutely love print books. I love the smell of books (newly printed books and old musty smelling books alike), and I love physically holding the book and turning the leaf while reading. How are electronic devices going to replicate the human emotions in reading, when we're approaching the end and the anticipation is building up? At least, none of these have been built into the design of devices like Kindle. Perhaps, as we advance with technology, we have to lose some of the old habits and favorites. But I'm not totally ready to give those up just yet.

No comments: