Monday, October 6, 2008

On the controversy of Bill Henson and sanctity of school...

I read with apprehension, the betrayal of trusts that parents in Australia felt when it's reported that Bill Henson, the "artist" whose infamous, provocative portraits of under-aged models, provoked many parents.

Now, it's reported that at one point, he was allowed to go into a Melbourne public school, led by school principal, sparks outcry of betrayal of trust by parents. I simply can't understand how anyone, parents in particular, could have defended that act by school officials. Scouting kids for sports activities is completely different from selecting boys/girls for provocative pictures. To me, it's exactly like those pedophiles advocating lowering consenting age of sex to include very young children, saying it's "no big deal."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The issue also reminds me of something that hits closer to home. One time, a friend of mine from Asia asked me if I know of someone called Andrew, a supposedly wealthy Asian businessman who lives in the same East coast city as myself, and whose son goes to Harvard. I told her, that's impossible to tell, since her depiction of this businessman is simply too general.

Upon discussions, she reveals her story. Her sister's family, whose has an only child (boy), migrated to San Francisco about five years ago. He's enrolled in the state public elementary school. His son has befriended this businessman, who has showered this young boy (maybe 11-12 at the time) with lavish gifts, and even allowed the boy to drive his BMW with him.

I asked: How did he befriend this businessman?
She said, one time the school principal accompanied this businessman to the public school, who's "picking out kids" to be on his scholarship.

I asked: What are the criteria of this scholarship?
Her answer: No idea, but the parents were assured by the school principal that it's very hard to get on to this scholarship, and it's "an honor" to be selected.

I asked: So, what does this "scholarship" offer?
Her answer: Not sure. But this wealthy businessman would come in from time to time to spend time with the chosen kids, even allowing them to fly first-class to visit him alone (with no parents or chaperon) on the East coast.

I said: What!? Your sister allowed her son to fly over and spend time with this man alone?!?
Her answer: But this guy is really rich. He has some 12 expensive sports car in his garage in SF here.

I was soooo flabbergasted, I didn't know what to say. Shall we say, there are stupid parents in this world?! The first thing that comes to mind was, Michael Jackson, and how gullible the parents of those kids were when they allowed Jackson full access to their kids and spend nights with Jackson alone. That's all because this guy is rich.

A few years later, when I caught up with my friend again on her nephew, she told me her nephew "looks to be fine." He's not close to that businessman anymore, and didn't want to see him, even when his parents asked him to. Her nephew doesn't even want to talk about this businessman.

Sometimes I'm not sure if it's extreme naivete or gullibility or stupidity that pushes these parents to not see any warning signs or clues in the development of their children. The trauma that pedophilia has on a child can become dormant, and can exhibit only after many years have passed.

I sincerely hope that I was wrong in this case, but I don't think I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Bill Henson needs a much more detailed investigation!

tiddle said...

Absolutely.