Thursday, October 30, 2008

On the politics of the Obama crowds...

Wall Street Journal carries a well-written article on the politics and fallacy of the crowds that have greeted Obama in his rallies so far. Of particular interest is the juxtaposition of what was once the politics of the crowds in the Middle East, where the columnist came from, and that of Obama. It's open knowledge that Obama had not delivered much so far, based on his empty resume, but as the article has rightly pointed out, the "leaders" do not have to say or do much since it's the power of the crowd and, more importantly, their imagination that do all the walking and talking. Along the same line, the less substance and details that Obama put out, the better. The crowd can project whatever their hearts' desire to him as possible, but come November, should Obama win, they are bound for profound disappointment and bitterness, since it's not likely the chardonnay-sipping white elite liberals who are soaked in social righteousness, are willing to part with much of their wealth in order to advance the greater good of the less wealthy mass that makes up more than 80% of the populace. The lower classes are bound for disappointment still, for it's unlikely Obama will dismantle Wall Street to redistribute executive pay to the crowds to help with their household finance. The young, idealistic crowds are in for a much needed awakening, since they would see how little principles Obama really has, given his record number of high profile flip-flops of back-pedaling on agenda that he had once promised them so vehemently, but reneg'ed without missing a beat.

Do I believe in social justice? You bet I do. But I do not have the confidence at all in Obama that he'll deliver the chops. To me, it's a fake. As such, I'd rather have someone like McCain who, while I don't agree with all of his positions, I know where he stands and I know he can deliver and doesn't back down on tough issues.

It's less than a week to go from November 4th. While campaigning goes to feverish height, with Obama spending like a madman, what with his 30-minute non-stop infomercial and all, I'm peculiarly serene and calm about this. My only hope is, hope for the best, but at least I don't have illusion in either of the candidates, and I go in the booth with my eyes wide opened.

No comments: