Tuesday, December 12, 2006

On the human need to expose themselves...

Some 12 years ago, when there was this guy I knew (some middle aged guy) in Australia once proudly pronounced, that he had his own website up. Back then, I thought, who would care to read someone else's personal details on the web. I wouldn't even allow my picture on the web. I had reckoned, maybe he's going through his middle life crisis.

That was 1994. Maybe I would never understand this herd mentality to feel the need to expose oneself. Well, of course, this is big now, circa 2006, when everyone wants to expose themselves, judging by the popularity of YouTube and MySpace.

I would never have considered writing blogs in the past. But I tap the keyboard faster than I write. And I don't need to keep a physical journal (save all the papers and trees and ink and pens), and someone would spare me the disk space. I say to myself, that's really quite nice. And if I really have something I want to say, that someone should hear about, it could do that too. Of course, maybe this journal would not be discovered in 50 years. That's ok with me. There really is nothing much important in this journal anyways. If there is anyone who cares to share their thoughts or argue a few points, that's even better. (I like good, healthy debates.) From these perspectives, blog is a good thing.

Perhaps my grandchildren will come to read the few trivial thoughts that their granny had decades ago, and give them a glimpse of how the world is like in 2006, that would serve a good enough purpose for blogs for me.

No comments: