Sunday, December 24, 2006

On the Pope's call to children welfare in Christmas Mass...

There are reports like http://www.playfuls.com/news_10_6308-ROUNDUP-Pope-Recalls-Childrens-Suffering-In-Christmas-Mass.htmlon the Pope's call to the world's attention on child abuse and suffering. Before I read into a little more details, I thought he had suddenly but finally got religion to face up to the issues of child sex abuse, smuggling, and the like.

Well, the Pope mentioned child soldiers, children who're unloved, those who suffer hunger and deprivation. There's no mention of the child sex abuse and smuggling. I suppose everyone has their priorities, but I just find it hard to believe that, given the breadth and depth of the sex scandals in the church, and the other reports around the world on the suffering of children, it didn't even worth a mention with a word or two. I guess I was hopeful, and equally naive. Why would the Pope (church) pull its pants down, and draw attention to its shortcomings.

I have no doubts that the Pope has genuine care for this subject (otherwise he wouldn't even need to talk about it in the Christmas Mass), but for him to attempt to touch on the subject, and still afraid to face up to the challenge he would have placed on his own rank-and-file (at least), that's pretty whimpy. I'm disappointed.

No comments: