Monday, January 14, 2008

On Clinton and Obama's black reference...

It's almost ludicrous to read the recent spat between Clinton and Obama on the black reference of things like Martin Luther King Jr, Civil Rights Act, LBJ etc.

While the blacks do not like to hear it (and Obama's camp certainly bank on it) that, without the Civil Rights Act pushed by LBJ, the famous I-have-a-dream speech from MLK will just be that - a dream. While MLK was inspirational in all aspects, it's a fact that if the dream had not been institutionalized in the legal framework, it could have taken a great many more years in order to get to where we are now, in terms of civil rights movement.

One might label it insensitive to elevate the Civil Rights Act above the work of MLK, and it certainly would hurt the feelings of a lot of blacks to say it out loud, albeit being politically incorrect, one should realize and acknowledge the fact that, in a overwhelmingly and predominantly white political settings back then, the blacks and all other minorities would not have gotten this far without the assistance from some whites (in this case, pushing the Act to pass by LBJ). I don't say this because I'm racist or biased. I say this because, by acknowledging certain facts, one could move pass the petty debate and dispute that Obama is trying to raise, against the Clinton remarks. It really is a non-issue.

If you would ask me, I would say, MLK is instrumental in inspiring a whole black generation (and more) in raising up to the occasion, and the Civil Rights Act is significant in allowing the white majority to acknowledge the equal rights of the minorities.

As to Obama, it's cheap talk arguing about what MLK and LBJ were or were not. I'd say, show me the money - show me what you (Obama or Clinton) have done for the blacks, if you want the black vote. As far as I can see, the two Clintons outplay Obama by a wide margin. So there you have it.

No comments: